OMG Finishes

Friday, September 30, 2016

September Finish

From this-
Which was unsure about to tell the truth.
To this-a finished flimsy-
Like it more now. It measures approx. 74x94 inches.
Not the best photo but ouor spring weather so far has been rain, rain, and more rain.
It will be next on the machine after this clients quilt-
I started off by stitching in the ditch but after ripping that out a few times changed direction and by stitching 1/4 inch either side of the red it still makes it pop.
She didn't want an edge to edge design as she wanted the red strips unquilted. Other then that I could do what I liked. Using Glide thread in the colour Cork.

Friday, September 23, 2016

BQF-Small Quilt Catergory

For my second entry into the Bloggers Quilt Festival I am entering this quilt into the Small Quilt Catergory. I made this for a colleague who was having a little girl. I can't believe I did not take a photo once I added the binding-which was a dark pink.
 The quilt measures 42 inches square and comes from a design by Victoria Findlay Wolfe in Modern Baby by The Patchwork Place. I made the stars  using half square triangles to form the parallelograms as I did not want to have to deal with Y seams.
Quilted on my longarm I had no set plan when I started but love how it turned out. Backed with a soft pink minkee that has stars printed on it.
I posted this quilt to the new mum and received some great photos of the new little one having floor time on the quilt. It is truly loved by all so what more can we ask as quilters.

Thanks for visiting. I'm off to look at all the inspiration at the festival.

Bloggers Quilt Festival-Applique

Welcome to anyone visiting from the Bloggers Quilt Festival hosted by Amy at Amy's Creative Side.
Although I have 'visited the festival' for a few years and have loved checking out so many wonderful creations this is the first time I have entered a quilt.
To those visiting for the first time my name is Marlene and I live in a small town about an hour south of Auckland, New Zealand. I work three days a week as a midwife in the busiest maternity unit in the country. Then it's quilting and golfing-not good but love it! I have a longarm machine and have just begun quilting for others on a small basis.

The quilt I am entering, in the Applique Section,  was made as a commission for a colleague at work who was welcoming her first grandchild. The pattern is Paisley Splash and can be found on the Wyndham Fabrics website. The request was for 'bright' and grandma chose the elephant fabric and scraps filled the rest of the quilt.
I used a buttonhole stitch on my Janome machine to do the applique and it is quilted freehand on my longarm in the background. It is backed with a red minkee and came out lovely and cuddly.
When I handed the quilt over to grandma, when we were at work, she had to fight back tears/. What better way to know that this will be a much loved quilt.

Thanks for visiting.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

On the Machine

Working on a commission Pink and White Baby quilt-nearly there. Same pattern as one I made in May (by request) but some different quilting on this one

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Goal for September

  So my goal for September is to make more of these blocks, a pattern from the book "Large-Block Quilts" by Victoria Eapen.

I recently went on a road trip five hours south of where I live to visit my mother who in a  Resthome. She has moved into a bigger room that also has a larger bed. She has a quilt on her bed that I made a couple of years ago but it is a little small so I said I would make her another one. I was informed emphatically that there was to be NO green in the quilt. My mother has never 'done' green-something to do with bad luck!! The curtains in her room are grey and red, hence this fabric choice. Hopefully it will finish as I envisage and am thinking four blocks by five. The blocks are 18 1/2 inches unfinished so come together quickly.


Tuesday, August 30, 2016

August OMG Finish

Finished and so onto the quilting. Owl fabric all used up now.

                                                            Finished size 48x54 inches.

Monday, August 22, 2016


This Giant Star quilt has languished for I don't know how long waiting for the binding to be hand sewn. I made it to try the pattern but also just to use up some boy fabrics.
Well this week I got the needed push to finish it and it has now been gifted along with the chevron quilt.
A  family, with a 3 year old and 6 month old, in our small town tragically lost their house and all it's contents in a fire last week. One of their friends coordinated collecting clothes and bedding for the children. So what does a quilter do but donate quilts.
When I was young we also had the tragedy of having our house burn to the ground and the support of the community was amazing so of course I didn't hesitate to give. It was very emotional when I handed the quilts over as the woman who was collecting the goods burst into tears when I told her I had made them. She found it hard to believe someone would do this for a stranger but isn't that what we as quilters do when we can?

I quilted the star quilt with a meander and star pattern

I have been busy quilting two children's applique quilts for a client but I can't show you the front of them as I don't have permission, and they have not been collected as yet. But how about a little sneak peek-
Green minkee on the back that did not cause any issues at all. I have had three applique quilts to do for this client so thinking up different designs for each one has been a challenge but almost there-just the borders on the last one to go.

I also handed over the elephant quilt that also prompted tears from the grandma I made it for. I handed it over at work and got some  amazing feedback and another order for a baby quilt.